5 CBD and Cannabis Podcasts You Need to Listen to
by Dan Ketchum
In Q2 of 2021, Spotify alone played host to more than 2.6 million podcasts, which about 25% of its 356 million monthly users engaged with (per Statista). Whether you’re one of those millions or brand-new to podcasting, there’s no doubt you’ll find a bounty of options for cannabis podcasts, with an immense diversity of opinion to experience. As a company that proudly stands on a foundation of science-backed research, the crew at KOR Medical prefers pods that tackle the facts and take deep dives into general cannabis and CBD-related topics — here are just a few recs that educate, entertain and enrich.
NCIA’s Cannabis Minority Report
Established in 2021 and running about 30 episodes deep, this podcast by host Khadijah Adams — principal cannabis business attorney and chair of the Board of Directors at the National Cannabis Industry Association — and co-hosts Alexis Olive and Khurshid Khoja welcomes cannabis industry advocates, allies and operators each week to discuss the experiences of people of color in the cannabis industry. Cannabis Minority Report shines with high-caliber industry leaders regularly appearing as guests to participate in frank discussions of diversity, opportunity, empowerment and changing the perception of cannabis for the better.
Cannabis Cultivation and Science Podcast
It’s all in the title here. Tad Hussey, founder of soil provider Keep It Simple Organics, centers all 89-plus episodes of the Cannabis Cultivation and Science Podcast around the most cutting-edge growing technology and methods available today, getting into issues ranging from the chemical analysis of resin compounds to the control of environmental conditions for improved plant health, all with expert guests in tow. Uproxx calls it a “great resource if you’re mostly interested in the science behind growing cannabis.”
It’s little wonder that Periodic Effects makes Forbes’ own list of the best cannabis podcasts. Approaching its 250th episode since 2017, PE finds the place where cannabis business and science meet. Each episode features industry insiders, doctors, scientists, CEOs and more. Our favorite episodes include 221, in which Carrie Cuttler, Ph.D., of Washington State University discusses CBD’s varied interactions among the body’s cannabinoid receptors, and episode 245, which takes a deep dive into our modern understanding of the endocannabinoid system.
Pot to Popular
If you’re more interested in the business side of things, Rosie Mattio’s From Pot to Popular serves as an accessible, easygoing listen featuring entrepreneurs, execs and journalists across dozens of episodes. Mattio and crew have chewed on juicy topics like destigmatizing cannabis through data, the green wave on the East Coast, science as the driving force of the CBD industry, and the role of AI in cannabis cultivation, but they always manage to keep it unfiltered and approachable.
As a catch-all cannabis podcast, Colorado Public Radio’s On Something: Life After Legalization isn’t as regular or abundant as other options, but its wide view of cannabis culture — and how it relates to culture at large — under the curation of journalist Ann Marie Awad makes it worth the listen. Joined by historians, activists, high-tech farmers and indgienous healers alike, Awad takes on issues such as the traditionally racist baggage of marijuana, equity in the cannabis industry, the experiences of convicts left behind after cannabis legalization, and even how cannabis intersects with the family dynamic.
Expanding Your Horizons
Not every great podcast covering cannabis or cannabidiol is a wholly cannabis podcast, or a wholly CBD podcast. For outside-in perspectives that help expand your horizons, check out these podcast episodes from beyond the cannabis community:
- Sound Bites: A Nutrition Podcast Episode 160, “CBD and Cannabis: Stigma vs. Science” leverages the medical background of host Janice Bissex, MS, RDN, FAND, to take on common cannabidiol myths, regulatory issues, nutrient interactions, dosage, and the history of cannabis stigma in a wide-reaching and highly educational episode.
- WBUR’s “CBD Is Budding in Popularity. But What Is the Cannabis Extract, Exactly?” serves as an excellent, soft intro to cannabidiol in general, helped along by expert insight from Dr. Jeff Chen, director of the Cannabis Research Initiative at UCLA.
- Black Mental Health Podcast Episode 56 features Charlotte Andrews, MS, LBS, LPC, JD, to help listeners understand CBD’s role in the mental health community, through a conversation that spans from stress and anxiety to suicide and depression, and through content that includes a refreshing discussion on helping the helpers in the mental health space.
- Thrillist’s Best “How Pro Athletes Use Cannabis for Performance” covers a range of fascinating stories from the professional sports world, including how a Tour de France winner uses CBD for chronic pain and anxiety, how cannabis factors into sports medicine, and why the NBA’s Al Harrington and NFL’s Eugene Monroe advocate for cannabis.
One more recommendation: Pair your pods with KOR Calm or KOR Health to curate your choice of a de-stressing listening session, or an active, engaged podcast experience with a little extra mental focus.
Dan Ketchum is an LA-based freelance lifestyle, fashion, health and food writer with more than a decade of experience. He’s been fortunate enough to collaborate and publish with companies such as FOCL, Vitagenne, Livestrong, Reign Together, Out East Rosé, SFGate, The Seattle Times and more.
- Statista – The Steady Rise of Podcasts
- NCIA – Cannabis Minority Report
- Uproxx – The Best Weed Podcasts to Listen to During Your Next Smoke Session
- Apple Podcasts – Cannabis Cultivation and Science Podcast
- Forbes – 2019’s Top Eight Cannabis Podcasts You Need in Your Life
- Periodic Effects – Home
- Listen Notes – From Pot to Popular
- NPR Podcast Directory – On Something
- Sound Bites: A Nutrition Podcast – 160: CBD and Cannabis: Stigma vs. Science
- WBUR – CBD Is Budding in Popularity. But What Is the Cannabis Extract, Exactly?
- Audible – Black Mental Health Podcast 056: Using Hemp and CBD to Heal
- Thrillist – How Pro Athletes Use Cannabis for Performance